So the universe recently decided to pour scorn on me and make it so that my laptop came to an unfortunate end. What this means is that the 3000+ post I constructed, where I discussed my dream Emmy nominations at length, cannot be posted until I get a new one. (I could post it, but it’s infinitely harder on a tablet device, and I’d probably want to throw myself from the nearest cliff afterwards.) That should hopefully happen towards the end of this week, but in the mean time, this is an abridged version of my dream Emmy nominations.
The submission deadline for ballot-holding voters passed last Friday, with the nominations due to be announced later this month (by the fabulous Aaron Paul and Kate Mara, no less). And while there is much fun to be had in speculating who might get nominated and/or win, it’s also a great opportunity to imagine a scenario in which you hold a ballot, and whose names you would tick off on said ballot. That’s what I’ll be doing in this post, and when I get around to posting my choices in full, I hope you’ll return to see why.
OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Bryan Cranston (Walter White) – Breaking Bad
- Damien Lewis (Nicholas Brody) – Homeland
- Jon Hamm (Don Draper) – Mad Men
- Matthew Rhys (Phillip Jennings) – The Americans
- Kevin Spacey (Frank Underwood) – House of Cards
- Hugh Dancy (Will Graham) – Hannibal
OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Glenn Close (Patty Hewes) – Damages
- Claire Danes (Carrie Matheson) – Homeland
- Julianna Marguiles (Alicia Florrick) – The Good Wife
- Tatiana Maslany (Sarah, Beth, Helena, Alison, Cosima etc.) – Orphan Black
- Keri Russell (Elizabeth Jennings) – The Americans
- Kerry Washington (Olivia Pope) – Scandal
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Jonathan Banks (Mike Ehrmantraut) – Breaking Bad
- Aaron Paul (Jesse Pinkman) – Breaking Bad
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) – Game of Thrones
- Michael Cudlitz (John Cooper) – Southland
- Mandy Patinkin (Saul Berenson) – Homeland
- Mads Mikkelson (Hannibal Lecter) – Hannibal
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
- Morena Baccarin (Jessica Brody) – Homeland
- Christine Baranski (Diane Lockhart) – The Good Wife
- Jennifer Carpenter (Debra Morgan) – Dexter
- Anna Gunn (Skyler White) – Breaking Bad
- Christina Hendricks (Joan Harris) – Mad Men
- Bellamy Young (Mellie Grant) – Scandal
OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
- Breaking Bad
- The Good Wife
- The Americans
- Game of Thrones
- Orphan Black
You’ll obviously notice that I neglected to include any of the comedy categories, and this is simply because I looked at the submissions and unfortunately found myself unfamiliar with many of the shows/actors nominated. I might get around to it eventually, but I just wanted to concentrate on the drama categories for now.
Out of all the categories above, choosing from the Supporting Actor bunch was especially difficult. The supporting categories are always overwhelmingly crowded and full of people I would gladly give the award to, and it took me a long time to find a list I felt pleased with.
I have many things to discuss regarding the above selections, and as soon as I’m able to share them, I will. In the mean time, please feel free to share your own dream nominations and perhaps comment on my own while you’re here!